People over 55 are susceptible to various diseases, but many of them are not afraid of it. They believe that nothing will harm their body and they need to eat whatever they want in order not to give in to a bad mood. In fact, it turns out that every person after 55 years old has his own “bouquet” of illnesses and you should not shrug off them when choosing a daily nutrition menu in order to prevent the occurrence of more serious health problems.
According to statistics, more than 75% of Russians over 55 eat malnutrition, which means that they consume a lot of bread, pastries, muffins, pasta and fried potatoes, and meat, dairy products, fish, vegetables and fruits are not included in the diet . Meanwhile, to prevent the development of diseases and their complications, antioxidants, which are mainly found in vegetables and fruits, must be present in the daily menu.
Proper nutrition for people over 55 is as follows:
1. Refuse sweet . With age, the risk of developing diabetes and overweight is many times greater, in order to avoid this, you need to abandon sweets. If you really want to eat chocolate or cake, it is better to buy some dried fruits – raisins, dried apricots or prunes. The norm of their consumption is not more than 50 grams per day. Drinking tea is also advisable not with sugar, but with a little honey or jam. To avoid the temptation of eating chocolate candies and sweet cakes, tell your relatives that it is harmful for you to use sweets and ask them next time instead of a box of sweets or a cake, to buy dried fruits at your hotel.
2. Eat vegetable salads every day . After 55 years, nutritionists recommend eating two servings of vegetables and at least one fruit during the day. At the same time, one serving of vegetables is equal to one cup of vegetable salad or fresh vegetable weighing 200-300 grams. If you have problems in the work of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract, it is better to season vegetable salads not with mayonnaise, but with vegetable oil. Mayonnaise makes vegetables difficult to digest and can cause stomach discomfort.
3. Steam . Today, many have crock-pots; it’s very easy to steam not only vegetables and fish, but even meat. Fried potatoes and meat from people who are overweight, cholecystitis, gastritis, peptic ulcer and other disorders in the functioning of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract should be discarded. One of the good dishes at the age of 55 is steamed chicken breast or low-fat beef, but they better exclude pork from the menu.
4. Eat seafood . With malnutrition, iodine deficiency occurs in the body, which leads to a weakening of memory, muscle pain and a deterioration in the strength of blood vessels. Iodine is responsible for the normal functioning of the thyroid gland, supports immunity and hormonal balance. Therefore, with age, it is very important to maintain the desired level of iodine in the body, eating foods containing this element. Seafood is rich in iodine, and seaweed is the champion in its content. The rate of use of seaweed per day is 100 grams. Eating so much sea kale daily can prevent blood clots in the vessels and improve blood circulation to all organs, including the brain. But seaweed can not be eaten by people suffering from increased production of hormones by the thyroid gland and during exacerbation of chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
5. Eat cereal instead of bread . According to a survey conducted by nutritionists, people over 55 eat a lot of white bread and baked goods. Products made from refined flour do not bring any benefit to the body, so instead of white bread, it is better to eat bread with bran or cereal. Buckwheat, rice, millet and pearl barley porridge are rich in vitamins and nutrients, they must be present in the daily menu.
6. Do not save on the purchase of dairy products . Of course, today if you buy cottage cheese and cheese every day, there may not be enough money until the next pension. But a lack of calcium in the diet can lead to the development of osteoporosis in women and impaired musculoskeletal functions in men. Therefore, you should not save on the purchase of milk, kefir, cottage cheese and cheese after 55 years, it is better to refuse to buy sweets and pastries, preferring dairy products.
Of course, a person at any age sometimes overeats and eats something that is harmful to health. For example, it is very difficult to refuse the use of hot cakes prepared for grandchildren or fat meat holiday dishes. If for this reason you feel heavy in the stomach and discomfort, it is useful to take a walk in a reasonable amount, depending on physical capabilities. Nowadays, Nordic walking is especially popular among people of retirement age.
It is ideal for people over 55 , has a beneficial effect on the joints and helps to fight excess weight. If before you did not move much, for the first time it is better not to take long walks. It is enough to walk at a moderate pace of 20-30 minutes, and after a few weeks you can increase the duration of the walk to 30-40 minutes. After Nordic walking, we recommend taking a warm bath, then during the day you will feel cheerful, and sleep at night.