Any disease of the digestive system requires the patient to follow a diet. Cholecystitis is no exception. The diet helps to reduce the load on the gallbladder, gastrointestinal tract, pancreas and stabilize the process of bile production.
Cholecystitis is an inflammation of the lining of the gallbladder. This problem arises against the background of a sedentary lifestyle, abuse of fatty foods, E. coli and for a number of other reasons. The acute form is characterized by the appearance of gallstones. They, in turn, block the ducts, and bile cannot normally leave the bladder. As a result, calculous cholecystitis and other problems with the gastrointestinal tract begin.
With the disease, general weakness is observed, periodically there are severe pains in the right hypochondrium, which erode into the area of the right scapula and solar plexus. Nausea may appear, reaching vomiting. The abdominal area is swollen, body temperature and profuse sweating can rise.
Basic principles of the cholecystitis diet
There are several rules that, in combination with a diet, will allow you to quickly cope with the disease. These include:
- A complete rejection of all fried, smoked, spices and alcohol. It is such dishes that lead to the appearance of stones. And if they are already present, then the risk increases that the ducts are clogged with these calculi, which can lead the patient to the table to the surgeon.
- With great care, foods that provoke fermentation are introduced into the diet. These include primarily whole milk and pastries, especially fresh ones.
- All meals should be served boiled and steamed. No products cooked in oil and a pan.
- The diet should not contain foods that have a choleretic effect. These include beet juice, citrus fruits, ginger, dill, vegetable oils and cabbage. This rule is especially relevant in the presence of calculi.
- There should be no more than 3 hours between meals. Simply put, there should be a fractional diet.
- Each meal should be at the same time throughout the day. This will ensure a uniform production of bile and relieve the patient of pain, eliminate bitterness in the mouth and heaviness in the stomach.
- All meals should be consumed warm.
- You will have to reduce the amount of salt in the diet;
- Fluid should flow up to 2 liters throughout the day.
It is extremely important to follow a diet to prevent the development of more severe consequences and eliminate symptoms.
What foods cannot be eaten
In the treatment of cholecystitis, you should not rely solely on an adjusted diet, you should definitely adhere to all the recommendations of the attending physician.
Prohibited foods include:
- any fried food is completely excluded;
- you can not eat any baked goods from the store, especially hot;
- it is unacceptable to eat dairy products with a high degree of fat content;
- red processed meat is also banned.
We’ll have to limit the amount of cocoa and coffee in the daily diet. Do not eat legumes, industrial juices, mushrooms, spices and sour fruits.
Despite the big restrictions, even with cholecystitis, you can afford to diversify your diet:
- Fresh vegetables and fruits. They are rich in fiber, which will allow you to quickly eliminate symptoms. For this reason, they should be included in every meal.
- Whole grains . These foods also boast high fiber content. Therefore, the diet should include oatmeal, brown rice, bran bread, and the bran itself. If the patient loves pasta, then they must be made from whole grain flour.
- You can eat fish and meat, but only lean ones.
- Dairy products. Almost any can be done, but on one condition they should all be fat-free or, in extreme cases, with the lowest rate.
Even the consumption of nuts is acceptable, despite the large amount of fat in them. However, you can eat them in small quantities.
Useful mineral waters
An important role in the presence of a diagnosis of “cholecystitis” is a drinking regimen. Of the mineral waters, preference should be given to those that contain sulfates. During treatment, you can drink:
- “Narzan Sulfate”;
The time of taking water is determined by the doctor depending on the condition and stage of the disease. If the patient has a decreased secretion of hydrochloric acid, then they drink water before meals, no later than 30 minutes before the start of the meal. If there is increased secretion, then mineral waters are drunk after a meal, after 1-1.5 hours. If there are no problems with secretion, then they drink water 45 minutes before a meal.
Water, as a remedy, should be taken hot, at a temperature of 40 to 50 degrees. Drinking hot water alternates with warm water. It is unacceptable to drink cold water, as it will cause spasm in the bile ducts and sharp pain will torment. Remember that the water must be heated in a water bath.
The duration of the course of treatment with mineral waters is from 14 to 21 days.
Treatment of cholecystitis in children
If the baby has an acute attack of cholecystitis, then it is recommended not to feed him at all. Only warm drinks can be given. It can be compote, fruit drink, sweet weak tea and rosehip decoction.
When the symptoms have subsided, gradually grated vegetables, slimy soups, very thin cereals and vegetable puree are introduced. After that, diet number 5 is prescribed. This is a fractional meal, with a complete absence of prohibited foods. A large amount of fruits and vegetables are introduced into the diet, dried fruits can be given.
Medication is prescribed by a doctor. You should not adjust it yourself, even choosing other antispasmodics that are not prescribed by your doctor.
Later, you can take a course of physiotherapy procedures. Most often, massage, diathermy, exercise therapy and other procedures are prescribed.
To avoid the appearance of cholecystitis, you should eat right, follow the regimen. On an ongoing basis, you should monitor your own weight, in no case do not overeat before going to bed. It is better to minimize alcoholic beverages, fried foods, smoked meats.
If the disease does appear, then periodically (2-3 times throughout the year) you should undergo a course of treatment with drugs that stimulate the outflow of bile. Spa treatment, mineral waters and physiotherapy are usually recommended.
Diet 5 for chronic cholecystitis
As soon as the main acute symptoms are removed, table number 5A is prescribed, and then table number 5. The first diet is followed for about 5-10 days. Diet number 5 is transferred for a period of 21-30 days. Compliance with all the rules of nutrition will avoid exacerbation and aggravation of the condition of the gallbladder.
Meals with this diet should be 5 times a day. Nutritional value of the diet:
- carbohydrates no more than 450 g;
- proteins 100g;
- fat 90 g.
Sugar in the diet should not exceed 80 g; it is permissible to use a small amount of xylitol or sorbitol.
The calorie content of the diet should vary from 2800 to 2900 units.
The main goal of diet number 5 is a gentle effect on the biliary tract and other organs of the digestive tract. It helps to improve bile secretion. Proteins and carbohydrates are not prohibited for use, but fats are still limited in volume. It is unacceptable to eat foods that increase cholesterol levels and which contain essential oils and oxalic acid. We’ll have to limit salt intake. During the diet, in no case should you stop drug treatment, even if a period of relief has come.
Diet for chronic acalculous cholecystitis
A diagnosis of “chronic cholecystitis” can be made if an exacerbation occurs more than 3 times throughout the year. Symptoms are most often more severe in women over 45. An interesting fact is that the disease most often occurs in representatives of developed countries.
The main rule of the diet is that only boiled and steamed dishes should be present in the diet. Don’t include pastries in your diet, including ice cream, cream, butter creams, and egg yolk.
It is allowed to eat greens, vegetables and fruits, but not necessarily sour. The use of beef and poultry meat is acceptable. You can eat seafood and fish.
Diet for exacerbation of chronic cholecystitis
This diet will have to be followed until all symptoms of acute inflammation subside. What you can eat:
- no more than 2 eggs per week;
- fish and animal meat, but lean;
- dairy products, necessarily fat-free;
- small amounts of olive and sunflower oil;
- biscuit biscuits.
Sweets are replaced by fruits. Pears are especially helpful as they help you bounce back faster.
Cholecystitis is a dangerous disease that requires special attention to the patient’s diet. Diet food in this case is aimed at activating or sparing the digestive system, depending on the disease and the symptoms of its course. Under any circumstances, the use of very hot or cold foods is unacceptable, everything should enter the body at room temperature. Do not overeat, as the rhythm of bile secretion is immediately disrupted, which inevitably leads to pain and exacerbation of the disease. Dishes must be boiled or steamed. Compliance with all the rules provided by the diet will allow you to quickly recover and get on your feet.